Monday, April 5, 2010

Why Try?

Why Try? What choice do we have? This is it! One world - One People! Growing up, I never really thought much about my carbon foot print. I didn't consider what impact I may be having on the environment. I grew up in the country where there was a lot of open land and fresh air. No one really talked about pollution. It wasn't until there were warnings given about swimming or eating fish from the nearby lake that I began to wonder what series of events occurred to pollute what I thought was an isolated body of water. Once I saw the map of all the streams and creeks that fed in and out of that lake, I realized the affect all of us have on the ecosystem. Like veins and arteries that carry blood to the heart, these waterways can carry pollution from lake, to sea, to ocean. My beautiful countryside was tainted. Full of pesticides from farms and bacteria from irresponsible structuring of leech fields and sewer systems.

When I began to have my children, my concerns for their future earth pushed me to take action. I no longer could sit back and expect others to fix it for me... for us. I started researching recycling and other ways I could make a difference. I purchased soaps for our family that didn't contain Paraben or Laureth Sulfite. I switched to organic fruits and vegetables from area farmers when possible. I began reading everything I could get my hands on about living a Greener Life! This is where all this research began to roll over into my work.

I'm an Interior Decorator. I see so much waste in my field. Clients throwing out perfectly working white refrigerators for the latest in stainless steel. Tearing out bathtubs, toilets, countertops, sinks, faucets, light fixtures, flooring. You name it, it was in the dumpster. I began to worry about what was being buried in our earth. I was beginning to feel guilty that a perfectly working white refrigerator was not being used by someone! I knew there were people out there in need. So, I began to bring everything that had life left, home. My husband was very patient with his garage full of perfectly working white refrigerators, My husband was very patient when his basement began to fill with perfectly working white refrigerators. Seven years later, he accepts that his garage has become a holding place for every discarded working appliance, unwanted student desk, or retro 70's light fixture waiting for a new owner.

So, that brings us to today. I continue to repurpose things. From countertops to doors. I give all the "unwanteds", away to anyone in need. I'm constantly on the search for products that reuse old building materials so less ends up in our landfills. I look for products that are produced in ways that are more earth friendly. I'm beginning this blog to encourage people to rethink what they throw away when restructuring their home. I'm beginning this blog to show examples of new ways to use old things. I'm beginning this blog to encourage and assist in the design of a healthier home. Why Try?... Why Not?

No comments:

Post a Comment